Friday, May 1, 2009

Ironies of motherhood


Sometimes motherhood can be a rollercoaster. I often find myself doing ironic things like yelling, "stop screaming!" or swatting at a swinging arm while saying, "Don't hit your sister!"

Somedays I wish someone would give me a "time out!"

Of course you always will at some point do something your mother did that you swore you would never do. But it is just as sobering when you see your child do something naughty you remember doing as a child.

By the end of the day my arms ache from holding my children.

But, when I am away from my children, my arms ache to hold them.



Some days I think I could do a lot if I had a day without them.
But really, I don't know what I would do if there came a day I had to live without one of them.

My mother used to say, "I hope that someday you have a daughter just like you." It was used as both a blessing and a curse!

At times over the past few years I have found myself wishing we were to the next stage--smiling, sitting up, self-entertained, walking, eating alone, weaned, nursery, potty-trained, preschool, etc. but then when I actually stop and enjoy a moment with them, or see an old photo, I realize how fast it all goes, and wish I could slow down time.


I love it when I see my children doing something that I have taught them...except when I didn't mean to teach that to them.

Scrubbing fingerprints off windows, mirrors and walls gets old, but when they get old I will probably miss the little reminders of play and exploration.

Happy Mothers Day to all mothers!

1 comment:

Mama Janet said...

How fun of a time you arw fun of are having and how cool that you know how fun you are having.