Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wisdom from an 8th grader



It's been a while since I've updated. We had a crazy month of 3 different crazy throat cultures, 3 different crazy infections, and lately an anti viral to help that poor mouth finally heal after a month of eating on one side. Luckily we were back in business and ready to roll--or fly, just in time for a visit to the in-laws for a few weeks. (That will be a future entry)
I actually started this entry and a couple of others, but have had a hard time getting them posted, so here is a bit of catch up entries.
Daddy worked out of town most of the month before we left. It was hard, but luckily he was usually accessible via cell phone when the kids missed him and cried because they wanted to talk to him. Sara likes to call him whenever I tell her "no", when she sees something that is his (shirt, hat, etc) lying around, and at bedtime. One of the days, when I handed the phone to Gary the first words he said were, "Daddy come to our house..." It about broke our hearts, especially knowing we still had a while of that schedule. I couldn't help but think that when my husband was Gary's age is when his father left for good. It must have been hard for my mother-in-law to explain to her little ones... I feel blessed that this is only temporary.



While he was away we had simple dinners and I tried to use some of the extra time to clean out and organize. I found some fun things. One of which was an old journal I kept in 8th grade. Some of the entries surprised me--for instance #1 on my list of 10 things that make me feel of worth --when my friend tells me I have great eyelashes--Hello--I've come a long way since then. But there is an entry about the "perfect boyfriend or husband" I enjoyed reading. I typed it exactly as it read:

"I think the perfect boyfriend (or husband) is...One who is
  • sweet
  • kind
  • generous
  • humble
  • good with children and babies, (loves kids)
  • is LDS and has a testimony
  • isn't rude
  • will do things for others
  • isn't greedy
  • laughs a lot
  • makes me laugh
  • has a good self-esteem
  • is enjoyable to be around
  • is neat and clean (to a certain extent)
  • doesn'thave to have name brands, etc.
  • says "I love you" often
  • is gentle
  • cares about you
  • doesn't think he is better than somebody else
  • would help me be a better person
  • someone who I can get married in the temple to
  • is attractive (maybe only in personality)
  • likes to be with me
  • likes to have fun, go places, etc.
  • To summarize I would like to marry someone like my dad..."

I guess it surprised me that I thought about so many things in 10 minute journal assignment, but I also can see that I pretty much got just what I wanted! I am very grateful for my huysband and for the person that he is, and living with my in-laws, speaking a second language, and living a culture not my own again, I appreciate him even more. I forget how hard it is to live outside of your comfort zone, to get 90% of a conversation, to have people understand about 50% of what you do, and to be so far from those who do love and know you. He really is amazing. I love him.

4 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

I'm impressed. I'm to afraid to look back at those old journals...embarrassing :)

GregR said...

you are so lucky and so is he! Hope he can stay home more,it makes it all worth it!

Tiffany J said...

What a great journal entry to find! I love the photos you inserted too! You guys always have so much fun!

bcwain said...

You did find someone like your dad. And if that continues, he will just keep getting better and better. I'm glad you appreciate Ionut. You are a good team.