We had some very tough times with Gary in the past few months. I was getting frustrated and on many occasions felt like I was being pushed to my limits. It was hard not knowing what was causing his seemingly bi-polar behavior, and feeling like I had to learn through trial and error all of the things that did not work. I wondered when I read in the scriptures about children who had odd behavior and they cast out devils, and wished it could be that easy. I had Ionut give me and Gary a blessing, which I believe helped us both with patience and understanding. It was still hard always getting feedback, both positive and negative from loved ones that I trust and respect and constantly debating with myself whether I was doing the right thing or not. But, in the past month the improvement is so drastic that I would almost call it a miracle.Three things have happened that I attribute that to. 1) I shared my experience with family and friends that I know prayed for us and put our names on prayer rolls. I know that made a difference, because almost overnight we went from 2-4 hours of melt-downs a day to one to three 15 minute mini-melt downs a day. 2) I finally got some professional help and diagnosis--A long exhausting process, but I am SO GRATEFUL for resources like that. They pointed us down the "Sensory Integration" path that has brought us miles! 3) A couple of weeks ago I woke up and Gary was not in his bed. I found him upstairs near Bruce & Bryce's room. I said, "Gary what are you doing?"
"Just talking"
"Who are you talking to?"
"Bryce"
Then as I came around the corner he pointed and said lighting up with a big smile "See!" and pointed. I thought he was pointing to the mirror, but he corrected me and said "Jesus!".
Surprised, I looked again, and on the wall was a picture of Jesus. Then he told me that Jesus put his hands on his head and he closed his eyes and then he opened them again. Bryce told me that he had just told him the same thing, and later he repeated it once again to my mom pointing to a different picture of Christ. Since that day we have not had a single "melt-down" even during a week long vacation in a 3 bedroom condo with 5 little ones running around. The night before we left, we had another experience with prayer. At about 4:30 am Gary woke up screaming because his ear hurt so bad. I put some ear drops in his ear and gave him ibuprofen, but it took about an hour to calm him down, in the end I offered a quick prayer that he would be able to go to sleep, and within minutes he was asleep. Half-way down the canyon on the way home we had to stop because the pressure change was too painful for him. I repeated the meds and then asked if he would like me to pray with him. I think my mom was thinking the same thing, because just then the other two cars joined us and I offered a prayer that his ear would stop hurting and that it wouldn't hurt him the rest of the way home. Although he still complains about not being able to "hear me" they have not hurt him again, and I never re administered meds.
1 comment:
I"m so glad that everything is starting to turn around for you and Gary both. I understand all your feelings of self doubt, being judged by others, hurtful comments, etc. I'm so glad that Heavenly Father is looking out for all of us. It's so tough sometimes without him.
Post a Comment