Thursday, October 27, 2011

This Great Deep

I have had several experiences where I felt like the scriptures have been direct answer to prayer, or where inspiration was given through the words, but the most recent was this past week. I was getting ready to return to work from maternity leave feeling overwhelmed with regret of having to leave my baby to work full- time. I decided to get my visiting teaching done before returning to work and picked up the Ensign and read. This month's Ensign is a special edition about the Book of Mormon, and I turned to an article and read,
"Said the Lord, ‘Ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come’ [Ether 2:25].
Those words comforted me and I thought of all of those dear to me who are struggling with major trials right now--my brother Mark's family and their son's recent diagnosis of Leukemia, my friend whose mom with Alzheimers recently didn't recognize her, another dear friend who's recently been diagnosed with Lupus. Other loved ones are dealing with the loss of a job and/or home, having to move far from family, receiving news that they may never have a child or another child, grieving the loss of a child, struggling with addiction. Some are experiencing marriages failing, families being separated, abuse, poor health, etc. It can be overwhelming, and as my mom said to me the other day, It seems like everyone is going through something really hard, and if you don't think they are, you just don't know. The words from that scripture comfort me and reassure me that God knows our struggles. The Savior has crossed this deep before us, He knows how to succor us. God has prepared us against the waves, winds, and floods that SHALL come, our duty is to endure faithfullly, FULL of FAITH as I see so many doing.

My favorite quote on my mission was by Elder Neal A Maxwell

When, in situations of stress, we wonder if there is any more in us to give, we can be comforted to know that God, who knows our capacities perfectly, placed us here to succeed. No one was foreordained to fail or to be wicked.

When we have been weighed and found wanting, let us remember that we were measured before and were found equal to our tasks; and therefore, let us continue but with a more determined discipleship.

When we feel overwhelmed, let us recall the assurance that God will not overprogram us; he will not press upon us more than we can bear (see D&C 50:40).

1 comment:

bcwain said...

beautiful. thank you, dear.