Monday, October 18, 2010

When it rains, it pours...blessings

Last year was a hard one for us financially as work was scarce, food storage and savings were running out, and we worried about our future and providing for the needs of our family. I found some old school papers, and in them was a paper that I had written from interviewing my great grand-mothers about their experiences during the Great Depression. As I re-read them, they felt unusually familiar to me, and I feared what the future would bring for our little family. I found myself mending my rags one day and didn't know whether to laugh or cry....Yet, as Christmas drew near, I couldn't help but think of all of the many ways we were blessed, consistently throughout our struggles. I kept thinking the phrase, "When it rains it pours"...but I couldn't help finishing the phrase "...with blessings!" To keep this post shorter I decided to leave out many of the details and just list briefly some of the things that I could think of:
  • On three different occasions I helped neighbors move and came home with boxes of food and/or other household items they didn't want to move, but that our family could use.
  • A neighbor paid me to help her clean her home, and sent me home with a box of expired food from the closet we had cleaned out.
  • Another friend brought a gift for each of my children and one for our family(some thing they were able to open on Christmas)
  • A cousin gave us his BMX bike to give to my son for his birthday.
  • Some renters were throwing out a barbie doll house that we were able to clean up and give to my daughter for Christmas.
  • A dear friend's son gave us his power wheels car that he had outgrown--It was such a wonderful surprise for our children on Christmas morning; something we never would have been able to buy for them.
  • My husband came home from work with another box of food someone had received, but didn't want.
  • My grandma said she got a great deal on some food and that she was cleaning out her food storage and sent us home with food and household items.
  • Every few months we received a small bag of clothing from two different neighbors for my children.
  • After receiving a bag of clothing, we still needed a warm dress for our daughter, but hadn't told anyone. A woman from our ward, that I never actually had a conversation with, knocked on my door. She just said, "Here are some dresses I made for your daughter. I didn't know what size she was so there is a size 3, 4, and 5. " The were warm, festive, and two fit just right. We still have one for this winter.
  • A little before Christmas, a dear friend sent a card with cash she said that she received for her birthday, but never spent. I had been saving to get my husband a set of English scriptures for Christmas, but when Thanksgiving sales came, I used the cash to get groceries while they were marked down for the holiday. I said a prayer, took the cash from my friend, and went to Deseret Industries hoping to find a nice used set I could give him. There were none on the shelf, but I spoke with someone who brought a pair out from the back room that was nearly new, and I was able to get it engraved at a book store. I had just enough money left over to buy a couple of books for my children, and a few small gifts for family and friends that I felt could use some holiday cheer.
  • My husband came home from work one night with a large turkey. He said that the man where he was working had a problem with his freezer and gave both he and my dad a turkey that was going to thaw. We quickly made invitations and sent them around the neighborhood and were able to have a great pot-luck neighborhood Christmas party.
  • Our family vehicle died and we were left with our truck that our family couldn't fit in together. A woman from our ward heard about and told us her parents were selling their car. She contacted them, and they gave us a great deal and we were able to purchase their vehicle.
  • I was offered a part time job at minimum wage, after working for a few months, I was offered a full-time job with benefits, just as my husband didn't have any more work.
I am sure there are many more things, but these are some that come to mind right now. I am so grateful for loved ones who bless our lives, for the blessings that seem to flow unceasingly, and for the struggles that help me to realize those blessings.

1 comment:

Mama Janet said...

Right, this really hits home to me. I've been thankful for those struggles that bring the spirit of love and gratitude to me as well. They are the times I know the Lord is looking out for me. Love you...