
So my 4 year old has informed me that he knows that Santa is not real and that me and Daddy really give him his presents. When I asked him who told him that he said, "Grandpa".
But we have still stood in line twice at Christmas parties, (both times landing a spot at the end of the line) to sit on the "pretend" Santa's lap. What did he ask for? A little yellow car.
Just after Thanksgiving, we went to the thrift store to pick out something for him to buy his sister for Christmas. Of course he found some things he wanted too. I told him that I would bring her back and maybe we could get something like them for him. He walked away looking at something else and I tried to hide the little yellow car and another nicer looking tractor in the basket and slyly step away--we both knew the chances of them being there hours later were slim to none. But a couple of minutes later he returned to the shelf and saw the yellow car wasn't there. There was a panic in his face as he looked for me and as our eyes met, the tears welled up. I asked what was wrong and he said with a quivering chin, "a stupid kid took my toys."
I could tell by his mounting emotions that it was not the time for surprises, so I showed him I at least had the car (I hadn't found anything else to put in the basket to hide it anyway). We finished shopping and he never asked me for it. I figured since Christmas was about a month away he would forget. I let him help me wrap presents for his sister and dad and then everyday for about a week he would ask me to wrap his presents and put them under the tree; so I did. Now every time someone asks him what he wants for Christmas, his reply is "a lellow car". Usually the person then asks, if it is remote controlled-- and looks to me for an explanation. No, it doesn't do anything special. Just a 50 cent second hand yellow plastic car-- a 4 year old's delight, and a mother's relief!
3 comments:
Yea Gary, keep it simple. Joy comes in the anticipation and learning to delay gratification.
For the record, he didn't hear it from this grandpa. Several days ago he said it matter of factly, with mom there and I just said he needed to discuss that with her.
Its the simple things in life that make life the most fun! Congratulations on your little yellow car Gary! That's so rad!
Post a Comment