
As long as I can remember, I have loved to be with my Grandma. Some of my earliest memories are of playing with her under a crib, swinging around a lamp-post, making a tent with a blanket under a piano, racing matchbox cars down cookie sheet ramps, etc. with her. Because I lived close to her most of my life, I can list about a thousand fun memories including a month long trip on which I got engaged. I have always cherished our relationship, and appreciated the way she always made me feel so loved and important. As a parent, I have understood the need for grandparents and great-grandparents on a new level. When my son was just learning to talk, my grandma came to visit. When she went to the bathroom, he would stand at the door and knock incessantly calling, "huh eee!" We realized he was calling her "honey" because that is what she called him, and the name stuck. Those two have such a special bond. He has a real need for her. When he is having a "melt-down" he often calls out "Grandma!" through the tears. Looking back on my life I realized how important it was to me that I had her unconditional love. She is a person who freely expresses her love and I never doubted that she loved me and believed in me.
Earlier this month my feelings were hurt by some comments made about my son's behavior and the way I parent. I get that kind of thing frequently from strangers or others who see tidbits and make judgements, but this one came from someone I love and respect and it hurt. Just like my son, I found myself wanting to escape and run to my Grandma Honey. There I knew I could find the love, acceptance and understanding that I needed--even as an adult.
I learned a few things from the experience: 1) We need to be careful of the judgements we make based on the little bit we see of others--rarely do we know the whole picture. 2) A grandparent's role is important and special because they do not have to discipline, freeing them up to love and
support at all times 3) When my son calls out for grandma, he is asking for reassurance that he is loved. 4)Each of us, no matter what age, need love and acceptance & the best source is really our Heavenly Father and Savior. It is only they that know the whole picture, and it is only their opinion that matters in the end.
support at all times 3) When my son calls out for grandma, he is asking for reassurance that he is loved. 4)Each of us, no matter what age, need love and acceptance & the best source is really our Heavenly Father and Savior. It is only they that know the whole picture, and it is only their opinion that matters in the end.
3 comments:
Crystal, I have always been grateful for my mom's influence in your life and now in your children's. I'm also grateful for you sharing what she means to you. We can learn a lot from her. Love mom
I LOVE Grandma Snow! She always called me "Miss Wonderful". She has such a great way of making you feel like you're king/queen of the world! I miss her tons and am sad we live so far away. I'm so glad you and Gary have such a great relationship with her. She is a remarkable person!
Crystal, I'm sure grateful for your experience and for you sharing your feelings with me as a grandmother. I hope to be better as time goes on. You are loved by me. You do so much for others and I love a adore you.
For the record Grandma Snow is one of my favorite people too. I can hear her voice and feel her sweet hug.
Post a Comment