Monday, December 14, 2009

Day after thanksgiving shopping

For several years I have stayed out all night in front of electronic stores for some major electronic item that we needed and found in some big door-buster Black Friday sale. I have had fun, usually being able to convince someone to stay out with me. A few years ago I even had my 2 year old camp out all night with me. This year I took a different approach. I slept at home and made it to Wal-mart and a couple of places at about 11 am or so. I was only looking for a few inexpensive items, some pj's, a jacket and a couple of toys all items under $10. I found a whole new crowd. Instead of the gamers and the people rushing to hoard electronic items, I found people finding things that their children needed--many of them trying to fill needs while things were affordable. Instead of the employees barring the door and keeping people from trampling each other in their rush, I was greeted by a distinguished Marine collecting toys for underprivileged families. I was touched by the several occasions I heard comments like, "I still have a teenage boy or a 7 year old girl", or "The family I got has a 5 year old boy and a 9 year old girl" It seemed that most were shopping for others and many for sub-for-Santa gifts. It was a much calmer and more tender experience for me; a nice way to start the holiday season. I think I'll stick with that crowd again next year!

2 comments:

bcwain said...

Sounds like your kind of crowd! But, I also like to think that those of us who (when younger) sat around in the freezing cold waiting for stores and bargains to open were there for the same reasons. Like Bruce said, Christmas changes people.

CGhica said...

That's right, now I remember my first experience--stood out all night for a cd player for Mark and "you"--tricked me into waiting int the cold for my own gift. Maybe that's why people hoard--their kids can't be tricked. Oh, yes--I also remember "faker"--yes, sometimes you need to do the all night thing. I guess this year I am grateful my kids don't want those higher priced electronics and don't watch t.v. to know what toys are hot!