With work being slow, and food/gas prices going up, we have been trying to watch our spending and use our garden and food storage as much as possible. I was trying to figure out what I could make with our eggplant and found this recipe for Ratatouille. It turned into a fun night. I put on the movie for the kids to watch while I cooked it, and then we served it over mashed potatoes (fake potatoes from food storage) I actually had everything in our garden except the Garlic & olive oil.
Sara has incredibly adult tastes (she ate only the raw onions and mushrooms off of the hamburger I fixed her the other night) so she was , but Gary liked eating it because it was like the movie. Too bad I didn't take a picture--I guess you'll just have to make it yourself to find out what it is like!
Ratatouille
4 Tbs olive oil
1 large clove garlic chopped
1 large onion sliced
1 medium (about 1 ½ lbs) eggplant cut in half lengthwise and then in 1/4 inch thick half moons
2 medium green peppers cut in thin strips
3 small zucchini (about 1 lb) cut in rounds
4 medium tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thin
1 tsp. Salt
pepper
Heat 3 Tb oil in a skillet and saute garlic for 1 minute to soften. Layer vegetables in the order listed, sprinkling the layers with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Drizzle remaining 1 Tb oil on top. Cover pan and cook over low heat for 35 to 40 min. until tender. Uncover and cook 10 min longer to evaporate some of the liquid. Serve warm, or cold. This dish reheats well and improves with time.
3 comments:
wO sa incerc si eu reteta intr-o zi. Am facut si eu vinete, dar doar asa cum se fac in romania. Niciodata nu am incercat ceva nou ca imi era frica ca nu o sa imi placa. Voi cresteti vinete acasa?
Buuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn!Imi era dor de voi!Ma bucur ca am dat de blogul vostru.
Mihaela si Vasi Miron
Yummy! We're living tightly too to help the family. It's a tight time.
I could use some fense stuff up here??? What does it take a new truck?
Janet
Post a Comment