Friday, August 22, 2008

Milk jugs in the cupboard

It's 3:46 a.m. and I am up. I slept hard and like a baby until just about 20 minutes ago when I woke from a stressful dream in which I was screaming at everyone- including distant relatives and others who I normally wouldn't about picking up toys, and turning off lights, locking doors, etc....So I decided after it became clear that sleep wouldn't be happening anytime soon to write about my day--Maybe--I hear Sara now in the other room calling for me...(3:53 drink of milk, blankie, and back in bed, we'll see. Today's agenda included an 11:30 a.m. home visit from the person who comes twice a month to help us with Sara's development. I have been canning peaches and pickles all week and so my sticky kitchen needed to be mopped and wiped down good before then. After breakfast and after daddy went to work the kids asked to play on the spinning chair, (See video) an old barber chair my mom has kept for 15 years for her grandkids to play on since my brothers loved it so much--and now, so do the grandkids. (4:06 a.m.-- Sara's crying again--maybe I'll finish tomorrow)...... Now it is a few days later, Gary is napping, and I have a minute to finish.



Then they played the drums....



That brought Bryce downstairs and left the kids an escape route upstairs. (10 a.m.)Gary wanted to watch a movie upstairs. I told him no, but that he could watch one downstairs while I cleaned the kitchen. That wasn't what he wanted and he started a "meltdown" (Now I realize it may have been intensified by the excessive spinning vestibular stimulation followed by the loud drums) At 11:44 a.m. (Yes--nearly two hours later) He was still going strong and Sara and I were exhausted when our friend showed up for Sara's visit. Since it didn't seem a good time for a visit, information was handed to me, and we rescheduled.

However, the visitor was enough of an interruption, and Gary was tired enough, that I was able to get him calmed down. We talked about it and then had some fun fingerpainting with pudding with Sara. To sum up, it was a "Bitter-Sweet" morning.


Honestly, now I cannot remember what else went on, but I know it was a bit stressful....Oh yeah, Scouts. I had to hurry and get dinner ready before Scouts, which included a stressful grocery shopping trip (The kind where I am seen more than once calling for Gary, wandering through the store, while he is tucked away between clearance bins or running 3 aisles away. I wish they would keep the seat belt buckles working on those car carts! Next time any of you see a mother in a public place, with kids that seem out of control--please be kind! (I had a harsh encounter this week). Anyway, I got dinner done, peach cobbler cooked, (No time for eating)hurried and got the kids ready and over to pack meeting just a couple of minutes late. By the time we got home from Pack meeting it was bedtime. We ate our cold dinner & warm cobbler and then Sara was more than ready for bed. I looked for the milk she was crying for, and couldn't find it. I hurried and got out the powdered milk, made some, put her to bed, and came back to clean up some of the mess from the rushed dinner. When I went to put the flour bin away--there was my milk, in the cupboard (too high to blame the kids). It is days like this that give mom's a bad rep for doing things like losing keys, purses, leaving for church in their slip or curlers, or putting milk in the cupboard!


1 comment:

em&m said...

oh, Crystal! you are a good mom no matter what anybody says! We could have kept each other company last night, since my children were up until 2;30 and 3:30. Then I was up until 4 just tomake sure Julia didn't get up. I'm terrified she's going to leave in the middle of the night because she knows how to unlock the front door and occasionally gets away to go pick raspberries! I hope today is better for you. I understand why your mom clings to youso much. I want you to come live in my basement too!