The Relief Society that I visited last week spent the whole lesson time going around the room asking people to share hymns that they loved and tell why, and then we sang them. It was a great experience. I noticed that there have been many hymns that have meant different things to me at different times in my life, but here are some whose lyrics stand out to me now for comfort, and I thought I would pass them on as a refresher to all of those who seek comfort too.
"...The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, Lord abide with me. Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away. Change and decay in all around I see; O thou who changest not, abide with me. I need thy presence every passing hour. What, but thy grace can foil the tempter's power? Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be? Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me."
"...Within my heart a welcome guest, within my home abide, O Savior stay this night with me; Behold 'tis eventide. Thy walk today with me, made my heart within me burn, as I communed with thee. Thy earnest words have filled my soul and kept me near thy side. O Savior stay this night with me, behold tis eventide-- and lone will be the night if I cannot commune with thee nor find in thee my light. The darkness of the world, I fear, would in my home abide. O Savior stay this night with me."
"I need thee every hour. Stay thou nearby. Temptations lose their power when thou art nigh."
"Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side. With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change He faithful will remain. Be still my Soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end. Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake; All, now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still my soul: The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below."
"God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform...Ye fearful Saints, fresh courage take; The clouds ye so much dread are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head. "
"Fear not I am with thee O be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand. The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I cannot desert to his foes. That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never, no never forsake." ( I found myself humming this tune every time we went tracking--without ever knowing the words)
Which hymns have spoken to your soul, and why?
"...The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, Lord abide with me. Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away. Change and decay in all around I see; O thou who changest not, abide with me. I need thy presence every passing hour. What, but thy grace can foil the tempter's power? Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be? Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me."
"...Within my heart a welcome guest, within my home abide, O Savior stay this night with me; Behold 'tis eventide. Thy walk today with me, made my heart within me burn, as I communed with thee. Thy earnest words have filled my soul and kept me near thy side. O Savior stay this night with me, behold tis eventide-- and lone will be the night if I cannot commune with thee nor find in thee my light. The darkness of the world, I fear, would in my home abide. O Savior stay this night with me."
"I need thee every hour. Stay thou nearby. Temptations lose their power when thou art nigh."
"Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side. With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change He faithful will remain. Be still my Soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end. Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake; All, now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still my soul: The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below."
"God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform...Ye fearful Saints, fresh courage take; The clouds ye so much dread are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head. "
"Fear not I am with thee O be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand. The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I cannot desert to his foes. That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never, no never forsake." ( I found myself humming this tune every time we went tracking--without ever knowing the words)
Which hymns have spoken to your soul, and why?
4 comments:
What gentle and upholding the words or our beloved hymns. I love your time to write them down...
is this the swiss temple? looks like! te pup dulce
Yes that is the Swiss temple taken on our Europe trip!
When we lived in West Jordan I would walk around the elementary school grounds because I could see the sunrise on the West Mountains and see it break over the East. I memorized this hymn then because it gave me so much comfort.
I wander through the still of night, When solitude is everywhere. Alone beneath the starry light, and yet I know that God is there. I kneel upon the grass and pray; An answer comes without a voice. It take my burden all away and makes my aching heart rejoice.
When I am filled with strong desire and ask a boon of Him, I see no miracle of living fire, but what I ask flows into me. And when the tempest rages high I feel no arms around me thrust, But every storm goes rolling by when i repose in Him my trust.
It matters not what may befall, What threat-ning hand hangs over me; He is my rampart through it all, my refuge from mine enemy. Come unto Him allye depressed, Ye erring souls whose eyes are dim, Ye weary ones who long for rest. Come unto him! Come unto Him!
Post a Comment